Destiny

Here's a funny thing. This morning, I decided to register for Stella Network's Pitching Workshop, in London tomorrow. Talking publicly and pitching don't rank among my favourite things (I'm a writer, not a talker, goddamit!), so it's important to face up to these vague dreads and brush up on them.

About half an hour later, while sitting in heat magazine where I'm currently temping, I was commissioned with the task of interviewing tycoon Peter Jones and his fellow Dragons from the popular BBC show Dragon's Den. And it's tomorrow afternoon. So I'll be able to quiz these titans of business for pitching tips, mere hours before heading over to the Stellar Network event. Mad, yes? Yes.

Anyone else going? You still heading up here for it, Mr Pillock? And Christ Almighty, would someone gather some handy links on pitching? I actually managed to enjoy the pitch-thang at LA's Screenwriting Expo last October, but that was a while ago and I'm all rusty...

10 comments:

Piers said...

Bugger.

No can do. I'm holding auditions for a play tomorrow.

Arse. Arse. Arse.

Pint after, perhaps?

Jason Arnopp said...

I'm sure I'll be much in need of a pint by then, sir! Sounds good. Is the Stellar venue down by you, then?

Robin Kelly said...

Pitching links

James Moran said...

Robin's link is superb, and I recommend watching all the videos to see it done wrong, then right.

Just to add one more: Kung-Fu Monkey - best pitch article I've read, and the model I use when I have to stare down exec-swine with my magical stories. In fact, read all of his writing posts, they're gold. Here they are.

Piers said...

I'll be about 15 minutes walk away - reckon I'm likely to get out about 9, so I'll just pootle along then I guess.

Jason Arnopp said...

Robin: Thanks! Handier than a small saucepan, you.

James: Do you really believe these brilliantly helpful links are going to prevent me from setting you on fire when I see you? Ha! I think not.

Piers: 'Pootle'! Loving that word.

Robin Kelly said...

Cheers James. I've added Kung Fu Monkey to the list.

Andy Phillips said...

See you both tonight!

Robin Kelly said...

Good luck all.

Stuart Perry said...

I'd say good luck, but it's nearly 9:00pm, you'll have pitched by now, and are probably currently at the bar with Piers. Ah well: good luck anyways.